It’s already been a year in Bogotá, which means we are officially halfway through our tour. As with most things in life, it simultaneously feels like it has been the longest year of my life and I can’t believe it’s already over.
Here are the highlights from our first year in Bogotá:
- We had another baby!
- Ingrid started at Jardin, aka pre-pre-school. She loves it. We love it. She is growing up way too fast.
- Gray was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and we learned how to manage it! He’s doing great, his numbers are excellent, and we learn more every day.
- We had visitors! In January Gray’s mom and two sisters came, my mother and youngest sister visited in April and again in October, and another of Gray’s sisters and her daughter visited in October.
- We traveled to Villa de Leyva, Lake Guatavita, and Zipaquirá. We hiked La Chorrera and almost all the trails in the Cerros Orientales. We did almost everything on the top 15 things to do on TripAdvisor.
- We spent a LOT of weekends in Bogotá trying new restaurants and visiting new parks.
- We made friends… and then they all left. And then we made new friends.
We always joke: “Join the foreign service, they said, see the world, they said!” And for us, we had high expectations that we would visit lots of places in Colombia, and travel around South America. And then we realized… South America is actually enormous and just getting to Peru is a 3 hour flight – let alone Argentina or Brazil – over 8 hours! We also had a 1 year old and after I got pregnant we were advised NOT to visit other places in Colombia and South America because… Zika, Malaria, Yellow Fever, and a whole host of other tropical diseases that we don’t have in Bogotá because of the elevation… but would be risky for the baby if I caught them.
So we spent most of year 1 in Bogotá.
And we were a little disappointed.
But, we saw a LOT of Bogotá! And we really feel like we know this city!
Year 2 Goals:
- Finally get to Cartagena and Santa Marta
- Visit Medellin and Guatapé
- Take a weekend trip to Tierra Caliente, rent a finca, and spend time at the pool.
- Hopefully travel to Peru and go to Machu Picchu.
- Finally get that elusive embassy job (Caitlin)!
Stay tuned for more!